List of healthy and unhealthy foods. It is getting very difficult to tell which foods are healthy and which are not. Why is this? It’s all the clever marketing which makes a very unhealthy food sound healthy. In fact, it sounds like you need these foods in your everyday diet. Also with a raise in packaged foods and each of them saying low fat, fat free, diet, sugar free, whole grains, they are all starting to sound healthy.
So what is healthy and what isn’t? Find out here on our list of healthy and unhealthy foods. Now obviously the list of healthy and unhealthy foods is not complete. With so many foods available, it would make it near impossible to get them all on here.
These are foods which you want to try and avoid permanently or have only a handful of times each year. So what are they?
- Sodas / Diet Sodas. Both sugary and artificially sweetened diet sodas should be avoided at all costs. They do nothing but damage our bodies and minds.
- Artificial Sweeteners. Once thought as a healthy alternative to sugar, it has now been proven to be a far worse option than sugar. We are not saying sugar is good for you either. Artificial sweeteners have been known to cause brain issues and cause obesity.
- Packaged Meals. Almost all packaged meals you find in the freezer section of your grocery store would be better off being left in the freezer. They are full of nasty ingredients and usually have a heap of sugar or artificial sweeteners. They usually have preservatives and are generally a very low quality food.
- Flavored yogurts. While a plain full fat Green yogurt is actually really good for you, the popular brands of flavored yogurts are usually full of sugars. If you choose the low fat option, this is even worse for you as they contain artificial sweeteners which wreak havoc on your body.
- Breakfast Cereals. About 98% of the breakfast cereals at your grocery store should always be avoided. They usually contain a heap of sugar, flavors, preservatives, and other really nasty ingredients. Many of the big brands are the worst offenders.
- Take Out Food. While being super convenient, fast food has many negative health causes. Often linked to heart disease, high cholesterol, and cancer.
- Anything Fried. It is not the way we are meant to eat food. Fried food is extremely fatty and has been linked to heart disease amongst other issues.
- Chocolate. Natural chocolate is actually really good for us. However, 99% of us don’t eat any natural chocolate. Most of the chocolate in the grocery store is full of sugar. If you want some chocolate, go for ones with at least 85% cocoa and very few ingredients in their list.
- Ice Cream. Is full of sugar and unnatural ingredients. Try not to have ice cream more than a couple times every 6 months.
And now it’s time for the good stuff in our list of healthy and unhealthy foods.
- Broccoli. Really high in vitamin k and vitamin c. Good at fighting cancer and helps our bones to stay strong.
- Avocados. Packed with healthy fats and can lower cholesterol and lower your chances of heart disease.
- Salmon. One of the healthiest fish. Salmon only live for a short time and thus they are very low in mercury. Other fish can live for 20+ years like tuna which makes tuna pretty high in mercury. Make sure to only eat wild salmon and avoid farmed salmon. Farmed salmon are fed all sorts of antibiotics to keep them from getting too sick in their packed pools. They are also colored before sale to make them look more like wild salmon which is a far different color.
- Spinach. Packed with antioxidants and boost your immune system. Also great for fighting cancer.
- Carrots. High in beta carotene which is good for our eyes. Also a good source of potassium and aid in digestion.
- Nuts. Contain many important fatty acids and keep us going for hours.
- Seeds. High in iron and good fats. They can keep you going.
- Fruit. Basically all fruits are great in moderation. Try not to exceed 5 servings of fruit a day.
- Berries. High in vitamins and boost our metabolism. Berries such as blue berries are known as superfoods because all of their vitamins and minerals.
- Turmeric. Has great anti-inflammatory properties.
- Cinnamon. Also has many great anti-inflammatory properties.
- Dark Chocolate. 85% or higher cocoa in dark chocolate can help lower blood pressure.
- Lemons. They are packed with vitamin c and boost your immune system.
- Garlic. Great at preventing diseases and boost the immune system. It is also an anti-inflammatory and can lower cholesterol.
Again, as I mentioned earlier, this list of healthy and unhealthy foods is not complete. If you have any foods that you would like to see on the list please share them in the comments below. Alternatively, if you are not sure if a particular food if healthy, also post it in the comments below and I’ll get back to you.